Most people need at least one tooth filling in their lifetime. Dental fillings are most commonly used to treat cavities, but they’re also used to repair cracked or broken teeth, or teeth that have been worn down over time.
Most dental filling procedures feature the following:
- Topical anesthetic to numb the area of treatment
- Decay removal from the affected teeth
- Tooth restoration using a composite (white fillings only)
- Bite check to make sure your teeth align comfortably
The dentists at Woodland Hills Cosmetic and Family Dentistry will ensure you are comfortable before, during, and after your procedure, and will happily to answer any questions you may have. In addition, here are useful tips for overcoming dental anxiety.
Tooth Fillings In Woodland Hills, CA
A tooth that is cracked can be painful. It also can lead to disease of the tooth.
How do you know if you have a cracked tooth? Look for these signs:
- sharp pain when biting down that quickly disappears
- pain that comes and goes
- pain when eating or drinking
- feeling that something is stuck between your teeth
- Or you may have no signs at all.
How Can You Tell if a Tooth is Cracked?
It can be hard for you to tell if a tooth is cracked. If you have pain, you may not be able to tell which tooth hurts or whether the pain is from an upper or a lower tooth. Cracks sometimes are invisible to the eye and may not show up on an x-ray. And sometimes you won’t have any pain or sensitivity at all; your dentist will discover it during your exam.
If you are having symptoms, you can help your dentist find the cracked tooth by sharing some information:
- the things that cause you tooth pain (such as heat, cold or foods that are sweet, sour or sticky)
- the area of the pain
Why Does a Tooth Crack?
A tooth may crack for many reasons, such as the following:
- chewing on hard objects or foods such as pencils, ice, nuts or hard candy
- an accident, such as a blow to the mouth
- grinding or clenching of teeth
- uneven chewing pressure, especially if a nearby tooth is lost
- loss of tooth structure through wear
- loss of tooth structure due to large fillings or other restorations
- exposure of tooth enamel to extreme hot and cold temperatures
Why Does a Cracked Tooth Hurt?
Sometimes, a crack in the enamel travels through to the nerve pulp. This type of cracked tooth may hurt when you bite down or when you stop biting. The crack may be too small to see, but when it opens, the pulp inside the tooth may become irritated. The pulp is soft tissue inside the center of the tooth that contains the nerves and blood vessels. If the crack extends into the pulp, the tooth may become sensitive to extreme heat and cold.
The pulp also can be affected as a result of the crack. If this happens, endodontic (root canal) treatment may be needed to save the tooth.
How is a Cracked Tooth Treated?
Treatment depends on the size, location and direction of the crack, as well as your symptoms. Your dentist will talk with you about the treatment that is best for your tooth. It is possible that your dentist will recommend no treatment at all, since tiny cracks are common and usually do not cause problems.
Types of treatment include the following:
- repairing the tooth with a filling material
- placing a crown (cap) on the tooth to protect it from further damage
- endodontic (root canal) treatment if the pulp is involved
- extracting the tooth if it is severely cracked and cannot be saved
Regular dental checkups are important, because they let your 91364 area dentist diagnose and treat problems at an early stage. A cracked tooth can become a bigger problem if left untreated. If you think you may have a cracked tooth, visit your dentist in Woodland Hills, Ca.
Woodland Hills Cosmetic, Implant, Specialty and General Dentistry
Specializing in crowns, teeth whitening, invisalign, porcelain veneers and dental implants. Call (818) 225-9410 for $59.00 XRays, Exam, Cleaning. We are currently accepting new patients, and all PPO insurance are accepted. In House Discount Plan available for patients with no insurance.
$ 59 Complete Dental Exam, X-Rays and Teeth Cleaning.*
15% off Initial Treatment and a Free Sheer White Take Home Bleaching Kit after Completion of Initial Treatment.
New patients only. $399 value. Limit one per patient. Not valid with other offers. No cash value. Cleaning is a regular cleaning and in the absence of periodontal disease. Teeth Whitening is a take home kit.
Highest Quality Porcelain Veneers $699 Each (4 or More Teeth; $799 Each for 1-3 Teeth)*. (Zirconia, Emax, I.P.S).
- Free Initial Consultation.
- Free Cosmetic Consult: Includes Exam and X-Rays*
- Free Emergency Consult: Includes Exam and X-Rays*
- Free Invisalign Consult: Includes Exam and X-Rays*
- Free Implant Consult: Includes Exam and X-Rays*
*Not to be used with any insurance. A $35 fee will be charged to transfer X-Rays).
Call (818) 225-9410 and schedule a consultation with our Woodland Hills Dentists Dr. Yousefi or Dr. Raz. (Woodland Hills Periodontist, Dr. Razmik Galustian).
We accept the following payment methods: American Express, Cash, Check, Discover, MasterCard, and Visa
We serve patients from the following counties: Los Angeles and San Fernando Valley