Wisdom teeth are your third molars that are typically removed during one’s teenage years; however, this is not always the case. If the teeth are erupted and do not affect the position of other teeth or one’s bite, they may be left alone as long as they can be cleaned and taken care of properly.
WHEN DO YOU REQUIRE WISDOM TEETH REMOVAL?
If your dentist determines that your wisdom teeth are impacted, you may require surgery. Impacted means that the teeth are enclosed within the soft tissue, or are full bony impacted wisdom teeth, which are enclosed within the jawbone. Symptoms of impacted wisdom teeth include:
- Jaw pain
- Bleeding gums
- Difficulty opening mouth
At our state-of-the-art office, you will be under the care of dental professionals. Dr. Yousefi is available to answer all your questions before the procedure.
WISDOM TEETH: WHEN TO HAVE THEM REMOVED AND WHAT TO EXPECT
When you were a kid, you probably looked forward to some of the milestones that you saw older kids reach: your first lost tooth, your first airplane ride, your drivers’ license. Other milestones, you probably avoided as long as you could: your first heartbreak, your first broken bone, and the removal of your wisdom teeth.
But now the time has come, and your dentist says you need to remove your wisdom teeth. Why is that important? Why do some people need them taken out? And, by the way, what are wisdom teeth?
Your questions answered
Wisdom teeth are the third set of molars that, for most people, come in between ages 17 and 25. If they grow correctly without crowding the rest of your teeth, then you probably won’t need them removed. But if your dentist says you need your wisdom teeth removed, there’s probably a reason. It may be that your dentist can foresee issues based on x-rays that show your wisdom teeth coming in, even if they haven’t caused you any pain yet.
Although wisdom teeth will not cause problems for everyone, they do have the potential to do serious damage in your mouth and undo orthodontics received in earlier years.
SOME REASONS YOU MAY NEED YOUR WISDOM TEETH REMOVED
- They’re coming in at the wrong angle
- They’re impacted – or trapped in your jawbone or gums
- There’s not enough room for them in your mouth
Dr. Yousefi would be happy to tell you why she does or doesn’t recommend that you remove your wisdom teeth. Some people can and do keep their wisdom teeth without any problems, but if your dentist does recommend it, it’s better to have the extraction procedure done before the wisdom teeth cause you pain or change the alignment of your other teeth.
During your wisdom tooth extraction, our dentists will make an incision in your gums to remove the tooth as well as any bone that blocks access to the tooth’s root. Your Woodland Hills Dentist will clean the site and stitch up the wound to promote healing (if necessary). She will also put some gauze over the extraction site to control the bleeding.
What can be expected for wisdom tooth removal Los Angeles patients? If you have had sedation or general anesthesia, you will need to arrange for a ride home. You will experience some discomfort for a few days, but if you follow Dr. Yousefi’s post-procedure instructions, you’ll heal up quickly and be able to return to your usual routines. Though each patient may have a slightly different set of instructions, the following are what you can typically expect for the first few days:
- Eat soft food – avoid anything crunchy or sharp
- Drink plenty of liquids (though not with a straw, as this can disrupt the clotting process)
- Use the gauze to address bleeding (excessive spitting can also disrupt the clotting process)
- Brush gently, and take particular care near the area of the extraction (but do not start until 24 hours after the procedure)
- Rinse your mouth gently with warm salt water every two hours and after meals (for the first week)
- Avoid smoking (which will slow your healing)
- Take any prescribed medications (usually to reduce pain and swelling) according to the exact instructions
Call Dr. Yousefi if you have a fever or if your pain and swelling do not decrease
SCHEDULE A CONSULTATION
To learn more about porcelain veneers, visit our Woodland Hills dental office. Dr. Yousefi is a highly trained dentist who is committed to helping patients achieve their dream smile. To schedule an appointment, (818) 225-9410 or request an appointment online.
Act now. Call our Woodland Hills dentist today.
$ 59 Complete Dental Exam, X-Rays and Teeth Cleaning.*
15% off Initial Treatment and a Free Sheer White Take Home Bleaching Kit after Completion of Initial Treatment.
New patients only. $399 value. Limit one per patient. Not valid with other offers. No cash value. Cleaning is a regular cleaning and in the absence of periodontal disease. Teeth Whitening is a take home kit.
Highest Quality Porcelain Veneers $699 Each (4 or More Teeth; $799 Each for 1-3 Teeth)*. (Zirconia, Emax, I.P.S).
- Free Initial Consultation.
- Free Cosmetic Consult: Includes Exam and X-Rays*
- Free Emergency Consult: Includes Exam and X-Rays*
- Free Invisalign Consult: Includes Exam and X-Rays*
- Free Implant Consult: Includes Exam and X-Rays*
*Not to be used with any insurance. A $35 fee will be charged to transfer X-Rays).
Request a dental appointment at (818) 225-9410 in Woodland Hills Cosmetics and Family Dentistry.
Call the office today for “Specials & Promotions”
- Monday: 10:00 a.m.-7:00 p.m.
- Tuesday: 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Wednesday: 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Thursday: 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
- Friday: By Appointment Only
- Saturday: 8:00 a.m.-12:00 p.m.
- Woodland Hills Family Dentistry
- 22600 Ventura Blvd. Suite 203
- Woodland Hills, CA 91364
- Email: SmileWH@Aol.com